Updated: Oct 30, 2019
Healthy Breakfasts - An alternative to sugary cereals
Ever wondered why breakfast cereals dominate an entire aisle of the supermarket? They provide a quick, attractive and easy breakfast solution for hungry kids and busy parents. They are sold as a healthy option and the colourful boxes highlight the goodness of essential fibre, whole grains and vitamins. What cereal company's often keep quiet about however, is how laden the cereals are with sugar and as a result how hungry children can be soon after eating them!
To help with cereal aisle confusion Jigsaw Nutrition aims to encourage children and parents to try out some other breakfast options found in our recipe section. Try making your own granola for example where you know exactly what is inside, or prepare our mini frittatas the night before so you have a filling and nutritious breakfast waiting for you. Other non-cereal breakfast ideas include the following:
1. Soft boiled eggs and wholemeal marmite soldiers.
2. Mini frittatas - see Jigsaw Nutrition recipe.
3. Porridge - see the Jigsaw Nutrition recipe with plenty of healthy topping suggestions.
4. Mushroom & cheese omelette.
5. Greek yogurt with mixed berried and seeds.
6. Peanut butter on wholemeal toast and fresh raspberries.
7. Scrambled eggs with avocado on wholemeal toast.
8. Breakfast smoothies with frozen fruits and oats to keep you fuller for longer.
9. Apple & cinnamon pancakes - see Jigsaw Nutrition recipe
10. Banana and blueberry muffins - see Jigsaw Nutrition recipe.